Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Frugality

Don't be Fadtastic , be yourself

I want to cover the frugal topics of my house. Frugality is the management of funds for their most advantageous usage. Its not a fad , its not a compromise , and its not a game. (Even if it sometimes feel like it).

  • I run a well stocked pantry. at least 3 months if not more.
  • I build my Pantry over time.
  • I only Fill it with what I know my household will eat.
  • I make most things from scratch.

Frugality Vs. Cheapness

Cheapness is not Essentially a requirement of frugality.
What will last longer , the cheaply made or the well made ? Choosing what will last longest would fall under frugality , or optimal usage of funds. Buying what is cheaply made will only save money in the short term , not so much the long term. Avoiding checkups may save money in the short term , but if you get sick it will cost you. Going to regular checkups and preventive care saves you more in the long run.

Frugality is NOT Nutritional Deprivation

There is no reason whatsoever to deprive your family of great tasting nutritionally and caloricaly sound foodstuffs. NO REASON UNDER THE SKY. Cheapness in the food department is inevitably a self created trap. I am not saying to go out and buy everything organic , I am saying dont skimp on your families caloric and nutrition needs to save a dime.

Its all about Balance
You need to keep the pro's and cons of everything you do and apply a good measurement of balance to what you are doing.

Step Outside Your Comfort Zone
If you are newer to frugality or moderately so , you may or may not have taken a step outside your comfort zone. Try something new , you might just like what you try.

Ethnic Foods Rule
American Foods normally stand as processed and packaged goods. These prepackaged , pre-made goodies and such normally cost more and lack the same nutritional benefits as made from scratch products. Again it may be about stepping outside your comfort zone , but you may like it. People in other countries eat the most basic foods , but believe me that does not mean any less flavor or texture or any number of wonderful variants. Research , explore. Who knows what you will find. Its like exploring some deserted tomb and finding a wonderful food combination you may have never thought of .

Its not Crunchy its Common
If its keeps being labeled and you glory in the label it will never be considered normal.
Strive to normalize it , make it common sense , not some special skill. Dont let it be a niche thing , but strive to normalize it. My life has been quoted as crunchy for years and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what people were saying. When I did I just laughed. I am not about the FADtastic. I wasn't being crunchy , I was just being me. I think people restrain their own growth through placing themselves in a niche. Its sad , because they fall out of the niche and loose all the good things that they have learned in an act of separation. Don't be Fadtastic , be yourself.

Invest
Not so much in stocks , but in yourself , in your future , in your Industrial Endeavors.

Go as you came
Live within your means , pay your debt and strive not to get in any more. Not owing anyone anything is the greatest freedom I have ever known. Repay everything , financially or obligatory and you will know the freedom of honestly saying I don't owe anyone anything.

Garden if You Can
If you can , do it , Learn the value of a single seed and you will understand the true spirit of frugality. Grow it , preserve it , know it and eat it.



----------------
Now playing: Citizen Cope - Son's Gonna Rise
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails